Sunday, April 5, 2009

Project number 3: Sashiko Coaster Set?



Hmmh, this is the problem of not writing the post immediately after I finished the project. Now I can't recall what's the order of the project I've finished. But I guess it doesn't matter much :P

I like to spend time in the library. Uhm, yes it sounds boring, but it isn't, trust me *wink :D The library holds so many things that I can spend hours there. Hmmh, actually it can't be last more than 3 hours for me, since they don't allow any food and drink and hey, what's will be more fun than reading some good stuff and eat some potato chips? :P

Anyway, I really really like - no, love, being in the library and find good books to read. Most of the times you can find me in Food/Recipes Section, and/or Art and Craft Section. I sometimes borrow and read some good numbers of novels too. I must admit I don't have much interest in Architectural Topics (poor me, oh ya, in case u forget, I supposed to be architect here and not some kind of chef or housewife *giggle) but sometimes I did set my eyes on the alley (only looking, but never really browsing :D).

There's a community library near my office here in Bukit Merah area, so sometimes I skipped my lunch and went to library instead. So that's how I met a lot of wonderful authors who wrote great books about sewing, embroidery, crochet, or whatever.

I was browsing in BM library when I bumped into this Sashiko book. It looked a bit dull for the first time, and I was quite disheartened to see the word "machine embroidery". I haven't got the equipment and my sewing skill is still several bars below normal (is Normal the right word? :P). But when I started to see what's inside the book i got hooked by the simplicity yet beauty of this Sashiko technique.

It is originally from Japan, and from what I've learnt from other bloggers and articles from the net, it should (at least it is for me, who just did a fast reading and forgive me if I'm wrong in interpreting) running stitches with even spaces. And some of the blog fellow also mentioned that actually we can buy the sashiko-ready-kit, it will be ready with pattern printed on the fabrics, so you can start the sashiko easily. It's also said that sashiko's thread is different from the common embroidery thread. You can find all the information here and here.

Well, for me, I don't want to set too high budget for my hobbies. I have a lot of scraps from my neighbor, and most of them are plain clothes. I also have some embroidery threads I've bought without knowing what are they for :p

The interesting part is Sashiko(for my understanding)uses a lot of geometry, and since I was trained as an architect and I'm very good in using AutoCAD program, so I manage to make my own Sashiko pattern (not creating, ok, only re-drawing) in CAD and print them in whatever scale I want :D

Then, I transfer the pattern onto the fabrics using tracing paper. It would help a lot if I have some iron-able printing paper (whatever the real name is, pardon me), but I guess I'm quite happy with this current method.

Now I've already finish 4 coasters (of 6 coasters in one set), I would love to finish all the set and maybe (just maybeeee) I will make a set of table mats or table napkins to match the coasters :D.

I did all the sashiko embroidery mostly in trains, or buses, or bus stops, or at lunch time. I lined them with medium-thick-interfacing and combined with flowery fabrics for the bottom part.

Huh hah, I must say that writing this can be very exhausting. So anyway, please excuse my poor English and enjoy the pics :D



1 comment:

  1. how lovely!

    ** ya ampuun dea rajin banget didrafting ulang polanya! sini sini emailin ke gw doonng.. hehehehe **

    ReplyDelete